The Afridigest Fintech Review is a weekly recap of what happened in African fintech.
Hello again, friends! Remember: this Fintech Review goes out on Sundays and the regular Week in Review goes out on Mondays.
On to the week’s highlights:
• $3M raised by a Kenyan platform digitizing SACCOs/credit unions.
• There’s a new MSME-focused lending-led fintech in Egypt, and it’s backed by some heavyweights.
• Some great recommended reading this week — on the continent’s overall fintech landscape, on what may be missing in scaling insurtech across Africa, and on what Flutterwave achieved in 2022 — plus a solid deep-dive podcast breaking down M-KOPA.
• Companies appearing in today’s Fintech Review: Kwara, Flutterwave, Sympl, Chimoney, Kuda, Fincra, M-KOPA & more.
• Executives appearing: OnePipe’s Yvonne-Faith Elaigwu, Carbon’s Ngozi Dozie, McKinsey’s Topsy Kola Oyeneyin, Lendsqr’s Adedeji Olowe, HerVest’s Solape Akinpelu, CV VC’s Brenton Naicker, WorldRemit’s Imane Charioui, Korefusion’s Ifunanya Chiegboka, OnePipe’s Ope Adeoye & more.
⭐ Not interested in fintech? No problem: visit the Notifications section of your Account Settings page and deselect the Fintech option. (And if you speak French, make sure to turn notifications on for Afridigest Français — it’ll be back from hiatus soon.)
[If you’re not a paying subscriber of Afridigest, you’ll only see a free preview of this Fintech Review. Remember to upgrade your subscription or start a trial to read it in full. Check out previous, non-paywalled versions here, here, and here.]
💡 Executive Insights: Payments are evolving in Nigeria (thanks to NIP)
🧐 Read the full post on our LinkedIn page and connect with Yvonne-Faith here.
🚀 Partnerships & Product Launches